Why I'm Optimistic

Why I'm Optimistic

Postby LEKEFARMS » 2016-05-22 11:22

10 Young Entrepreneurs who make me optimistic about Nigeria's future

Despite the growing concern for Nigeria’s future due to terrorism or the lack of conscientious leaders, I am optimistic.

I am optimistic because a growing number of young Nigerian entrepreneurs are creating innovative businesses, and more importantly are not waiting for government connections to create this change. These young innovators are being proactive about change and their enormous success is not a byproduct of nepotism or deeply entrenched corruption.
The collaborative power of technology and new media has given a voice to a new kind of entrepreneur. It has given a voice to innovative young Nigerians emerging throughout the continent and these are who I want more young Nigerians to celebrate as success stories. As the largest economy within the African continent, we have to celebrate hard work and innovation, as well as implement policies that accelerate business growth and strengthen the private sector to create more jobs.

Here are the 10 Young Entrepreneurs who make me optimistic about Nigeria’s future. These young entrepreneurs are out in the field establishing businesses and providing solutions within their various communities.

(1) Jason Njoku is co-founder of iROKOtv, the largest online distributor of Nollywood films.

(2) Tola Onigbanjo is co-founder of Women4Africa, a UK-based organization celebrating, recognizing, and honoring African women who have made great impact in their communities.

(3) Mark Essien is founder of Hotels.ng, Nigeria’s leading hotel booking portal.

(4) Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola is co-founder of
WeCyclers, a company giving low-income
communities in developing countries a chance to capture value from waste and clean up their neighborhoods through an incentive-based recycling program.

(5) Gbenga Sesan is founder of the Paradigm Initiative (PIN), an organization using ICT to empower young people in underserved communities through entrepreneurial training programs.

(6) Odusanya Oluwaseyi is the founder of Goldband Technologies Limited, a company that practically shows me how to make a sale of 8million naira in a day, all by myself. You will not believe this, until I did it at UNILAG and I was also amazed.

(7) Zanau Hassan Maikasuwa is a seasoned farmer and founder of Farmfields Agro-Allied Services, which supports local farmers and agricultural investors dealing with all aspects of farming – animals and crops. Zanau also helped to launch the AWP Network Agropreneur project for WomenFarmers.

(8) Oluwafemi Abioye is a talented entrepreneur and the founder of OAFIL and agricmedia.com where I practically see young Nigerians especially undergraduates been given opportunity to add values to themselves without paying for it.

(9) Ola Orekunrin is founder of Flying Doctors Nigeria, West Africa’s first indigenous air ambulance service and a crucial link for critically injured people.

(10) Achenyo Idachaba is founder of MitiMeth, a company producing hand-woven crafts from invasive aquatic weeds prevalent in Nigeria’s waterways. MitiMeth engages local artisans to create
eco-friendly hand- woven home décor and personal accessories from invasive aquatic weeds and non-timber forest resources.

Nigeria’s future may appear bleak with the lack of effective governance, or the growing number of kidnappings and bombings. Despite these circumstances, Nigeria’s young innovative entrepreneurs make me hopeful.

I am ADENIJI ADELEKE
LEKEFARMS

Return to Articles & Lectures